About

French Silver is a two person shop. Sisters, Alexia and Jennifer, work together to create everything by hand in their home workshops. This blog is a chance for them to show you a little bit of what goes on behind the scenes.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Boy's Nautical Red, White and Blue Themed Bedroom

welcome to the cleanest Austin's room has ever been...

admiring his stripes
Decorating a boy's room was a challenge for me, which is why it's taken me 2 years to finish it.  My house is full of neutral colors and lots of pastels.    I love all things Pottery Barn, Country Living Magazine, and Rachel Ashwell.  None of those styles are all that "boyish".  When Austin turned two we switched out his crib for a "real" bed and I decided I'd better make his room look a little more grown up (i.e. no pastels) or I'd be redecorating again soon.  I have a much easier time decorating if I choose a "theme" and run with it.  I decided to loosely go with a nautical/travel theme and to incorporate as many antiques and thrift store finds as possible.

custom sign by Theerin

  • Custom made metal sign by Theerin.
  • Vintage Globe was a Goodwill find.
  • The vintage books came from a thrift store for $.50/each.
  • A vintage map of Lake Superior bought on Ebay.

  • antique school desk
lighting from Lowe's


gallery wall full of found treasures
Union Jack Flag painted on an antique dresser


The bed came from Ikea and I spray painted it yellow.  After using 6 or 7 cans of spray paint and getting it back into his room, I instantly wished I had painted it copper.  Doh!  But I guess the yellow is a little more preschool appropriate.

1 comment:

  1. You did a great job decorating your boy’s room, Lexi! Blue is said to stimulate creativity. So, it’s really a perfect color choice for Austin’s bedroom. Coupled with the light colors of the room, it makes the whole thing very inviting, and very much a boy's room. Cheers!

    Larry Brannon @ Leonard Brush and Chemical

    ReplyDelete