About

French Silver is a two person shop. Sisters, Alexia and Jennifer, work together to create everything by hand in their home workshops. This blog is a chance for them to show you a little bit of what goes on behind the scenes.

Search This Blog

Saturday, January 25, 2014

DIY Moss Letters

supplies
Making your own moss covered letters is a lot easier than you might think.  

You'll need:

  • - scissors
  • - a pen/pencil
  • - glue gun and glue sticks
  • - sheet of paper to trace letter shape
  • - a letter (I used the thin wood cut out kind - I think it was about $2.49)
  • - moss mat 


6sq ft at Hobby Lobby is $19.99 or $12 with a 40% coupon.  They sell smaller little sheets, but I went with the big one because I figured I would be doing a lot of mossin' around here.

Also, the moss mat comes with some paper on the back.  It's not glued down, it's there so you can trace your shape, but the pen wasn't writing very well on it, so I used a separate sheet of paper.

Step 1- trace the shape on a piece of paper (cardstock would work best) then cut it out
** tip - Learn from my mistakes, add about an extra quarter inch or so to each side, you're going to want to be able to wrap it over the sides so the don't show.

Step 2 - stick the shape to the back of the moss mat and cut it out
** another tip - go ahead and peel back the brown paper and either tape or glue your template so it won't move while you are cutting.

Step 3 - use the glue gun and glue the moss to the wood
You can see in this picture that there were a couple areas that I cut too closely to the template.  If you do this - it's not a big deal.  You can just cut a strip and glue it.  The moss is fairly forgiving.  The seams aren't super obvious.

Finished!
  I'm putting together a rustic Valentine's Day themed mantel.  I'll post pictures once I have it all put together!

No comments:

Post a Comment